Last month, seven Indians kidnapped by militants in Libya have been released. Indian Ambassador to Tunis, Puneet Roy Kundal gave this information. All those left are residents of Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Bihar.
On 14 September, these Indians were abducted from the Assahverif area of Libya when they were all going to Tripoli Airport to return to their homeland India. India was constantly trying to save them. Today all seven Indians have been released safely.
Significantly, the Foreign Ministry said on Thursday that seven Indians were kidnapped in Libya last month and India is in touch with Libyan authorities for their release. The abducted Indians include people from Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Anurag Shrivastava told a press conference that the government is in touch with the family of these people and would like to assure that by negotiating and coordinating with the Libyan authorities and employers we can locate our citizens and get them as soon as possible Every effort is being made to liberate it.
Srivastava had said that the hijacked Indian citizens worked in a construction and oil supply company. He had said that the hijackers have contacted the employer and shown photographs as evidence that Indian citizens are safe and are being taken care of properly.
Since the fall of Muammar Gaddafi’s rule in 2011, the oil-rich country Libya has been experiencing large-scale violence. The Indian Mission in Tunisia deals with cases involving Indian nationals living in Libya.
An advisory was issued in September 2015 that Indian citizens avoid traveling to Libya due to poor security situation. In May 2016, the government imposed a total travel ban due to worsening conditions in Libya.