US is keeping a close watch on reports of India and China withdrawing their troops in eastern Ladakh. The US State Department issued the statement on Monday after India and China agreed to repel troops in eastern Ladakh.
Both countries have also agreed to remove troops and weapons from the northern and southern sides of Pangong Lake. “We have kept a close watch on the news of the troop withdrawal,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Ned Price told a daily news conference. We welcome the current efforts to reduce stress. “
“We will, of course, keep a close watch on the situation as both sides are working towards a peaceful settlement,” he said in response to a question on reports of withdrawal of troops from India and China from Pangog area of Ladakh.
Significantly, the military standoff between India and China started after a violent clash in Pangong Lake area on May 5 last year and after that both sides deployed a large number of troops and lethal weapons.